Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Projects

My mom and dad cleaned out their garage and found uh... probably everything that's been missing for the past ten years. Except my baseball glove. I just finished Chabon's Summerland and I really want to play baseball.

But anyway, along with a pie carrier, an album of family photographs from the turn of the last century, and the telescope I thought was sold when we moved, she found a bunch of my Great Grandma Eleanore's knitting needles. We knew they were hers because the container was covered in contact paper. Amazingly most of them were in complete sets, and she had some really teeny thin needles perfect for knitting in miniature. Which I've been wanting to attempt since I saw Coraline.

My Grandma Eleanor was for me, that relative that everyone seems to have who once ran the iditerod, or climed everest. She may not have done those things, but she did just about everything else, including making her own shoes for three years just because she didn't like the style of the ones she found in the stores. I admire that contrarian streak. She also ran the library because she owned the only house large enough for a library in cathlamet. And I get to inherit her knitting needles. Awesome.

Grandma Eleanor is also the reason I have a red paper mache donkey from mexico in my house.



Oh by the way does anyone else want to play baseball? I seriously want to play some baseball.

3 comments:

j said...

ME PLAY BASEBALL!!!!111!!1!

Magela said...

Knitting needles inherited from grandma are the best. One of my favorites treasures, one of the things I'd go back into a burning building to save.

josh p said...

BASEBALL!!

YES!!